Chitika AD

Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The J.U.N.P.I.D. saga

Haven't you heard of that acronym before?  You haven't? Well you're behind in the times then of being able to read my mind.

The acronym of my current life stands for this: Jobless, Unemployed, Not working, Poor, & In Debt. Working and '&' screwed up the made up word so I left them out. It's my word, I can do what I want with it.

Here's a brief look into the JUNPID saga so far:

I got my degree in journalism and here's my list of careers I want to go into from most desirable to last:
1. Sports Broadcast
2. Sports Public Relations
3. Television News
4. Public Relations
5. Sports Newspaper
6. Regular Newspaper
7. Sports Radio
8. Radio

Now that we're on the same page, I can inform you I've sent out more than 30 demo tapes of my on-camera and off-camera work to television stations. How many interviews you ask? Zip. Apparently one and half years experience doesn't matter.

How many other applications have I sent out? I'm nearing the 40 range. Interviews? 3.
First one was for a job in the great town of Dunlap, Il. A po-dunk town that consists of a really crappy high school athletic force and about three intersections to the town. This position was for a mix between numbers 5 and 6 listed above for $11.25 an hour. That rounded out to about 23k a year. Welfare checks anyone? Needless to say, I passed on the opportunity.

Interview number 2: Pattonville School District. 32k a year. I really wanted this one. I was videotaped on the interview which is one of the top 5 most awkward things ever. That list will eventually be released by month as well. Anyway, I made the most boneheaded mistake ever on my application and I'm pretty sure it cost me the position. I received a phone call a week later after the interview. I had marked yes under the question, "Have you committed a felony with in the past 'X' years?"
...
...
...
...
For the record, I haven't committed a felony. I apparently just can't read.

Interview number 3: I didn't go! This was for a news radio position in Iowa. They weren't even going to pay for my travel. Screw that.

So now that we're all caught up, next time we go into my JUNPID saga we can go into more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment